Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Update

I've really been enjoying our assignments so far. I'm also really excited to start using the vast resources available for my own projects, though. My second round of dough came out somewhat uninterestingly, but I had fun making aluminum foil gadgets.

While working on my foil, I rediscovered a few interesting shapes I thought I'd share with you guys:
Gömböc - the only known convex and homogeneous shape with just one stable and one unstable point of balance.
Yoshimoto Cube - actually two stellated rhombic dodecahedrons (mouthful, I know) that fit perfectly within each other to form a cube.
Sphericon - a three-dimensional shape with one side and two edges. Can fit together to make interesting systems that rotate around each other called lattices. It uses a trick similar to moebius strips (rotate and reattach) and klein bottles (invert and reattach) to get its one surface from a bicone.

Also, here's the animation of a universal joint I modeled my aluminum foil piece from. I think it's quite pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment