Monday, March 1, 2010

Furniture Project


I learned an amazing amount during this project. I've always wanted to make useful stuff out of wood with my own hands, but I had only had that opportunity once before - thanks to Ian last semester.

This time I went all-out, and put in something like 15+ hours to try to make my vision come true. Miles introduced me to a solid dozen tools and building techniques that were necessary along the way. Going from a concept I wasn't sure would work to a tangible object that could support my weight was extremely satisfying for me.

I do agree with the general notion that the back and seat don't match very well and the whole thing doesn't have a very specific aristic language. This is probably because the chair's success rode so heavily on its functional properties. Now that I've confirmed that the concept is structurally sound, I would love to go at it again and give it a better look. This time through, having all of the measurements in front of me, I could build it in a different order and make aesthetic tweaks to the basic design. Seeing all of the hours the Bilt crew is putting in to monitor us, I just might do that on my own time.

I'm really looking forward to fully exploring my urge to work with wood. My father's side of the family were cabinet-makers, so I feel like by creating these things I'm carrying on a traditional passion hidden somewhere in my genes.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gui, I loved the chair despite the vocabulary not being completely uniform. My favorite aspect are the four pieces of wood jointed together. The construction is very technical so goodjob! I am excited to see what you will produce, you are very functional minded.

    ReplyDelete